Sunday, December 8, 2013

Helping Students with Writing


As an English Teacher, I’ve come to find that there are not many technologies we could use in our classrooms, besides websites. I have stated in previous blog posts, that I would be wary about students using their laptops in my classroom. So the least I would be able to do for them is give them a good list of resources that my student would be able to use. I remember, back when I was a student in high school, every year, we would have that one creative writing paper.
The paper would be able to be about anything, but it had to be fiction. As a creative writing minor now, you could imagine I was always happy about said assignments, but my peers, not so much. They would always struggle with coming up with a simple idea. As a teacher, I want this process to be as enjoyable as possible. So what I would add to their sheet of resources is a website called the Fiction Generator.
It is exactly what the title says it is. Only this is one of the best ones I have seen. This gives the student a lengthy plot summary, without writing the story for them; it just gives the student information about a situation. Not only does this generator involve character quirks, but also interesting settings and titles for the paper (something I always had trouble with). What I liked most about this generator was that in the description, it used very large vocabulary words, so not only is it helping the student to write a very interesting fiction story, but it is also helping the student expand their vocabulary.
I personally believe this would be a great tool for a teacher to give students. It will allow them to not only explore different writing tools, but also help expand their vocabulary knowledge. 

4 comments:

  1. I think that this Fiction Generator sounds like a great idea because I was that students that you mentioned above, not being too happy about a creative writing assignment like that! I have always had trouble coming up with even the simplest idea and I never knew what to write about. On the contrary, I do pretty well with things such as picture prompts, etc so I think that this Fiction Generator would have worked really well for me! You should definitely introduce this resource to your students when you get into the field! I think it will help them out so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a really helpful technology, but I do think it should be used with caution if the class is a Creative Writing class as you still want kids to come up with the work themselves. The website may help them too much, so I think you should this once and that's it. However, this would be a really cool website to use when analyzing the conventions of genre, as the prompts this website generates all follow certain conventions. You may wanna ask the student why the female character is always the quirky companion, etc. Great job finding this; the possibilities are endless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Resources for students are definitely helpful. I have used a lot of generators of all different sorts from jogging ideas all the way to creating work cited pages. Its a good idea to model to students how they should be using generators, so that they don't lean on this technology too often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the very first time that I see a generator of ideas, what a great concept. I would like to implement this idea into art through a lesson on making comic book strips. It would motivate students or guide them to have a basic idea of where are they going with the story. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete