Sunday, October 6, 2013

Technology in English Class


Recently, I have been rethinking my post supporting technology in classrooms, especially in English classrooms.  The problem I have with technology in classrooms is that they are a distraction. While I would like to think my students are using their laptops and smart phones for their writing help, I know it is unrealistic. It is more tempting to use your laptop to update social Medias and blog sites, rather than take notes quicker. Students are more inclined to tweet about being in class, than pay attention in class, and that is a huge problem. English has trouble grasping student’s attention, but I believe that is because they aren’t even listening.
English is extremely important for students to know. While they are studying Shakespeare, Mary Shelley, or Jane Austin, they are also learning how to interpret literature, and to read and write at a higher level. Students are too busy texting their friends using shortened words and abbreviations to be learning how to write properly. I remember last year, in my junior year of college, my professor was explaining how he wanted an essay written. He stated “be sure to write out you, and not just use the letter u.” I was appalled that this needed to be reminded to college students.
 I was embarrassed when he continued to tell the class that he had received many papers with the letters “u” instead of “you”, or that his students didn’t know the difference between “too” and “to”. This is why technology should be allowed in classrooms. It is sad that college students do not know the difference between texting and writing an academic paper. Personal technology (such as laptops, and smart phones) should not be allowed in the classroom because it is marring the intelligence of writing academic papers and reading on the academic level. 

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you! While I DO find some technologies great, I find others to be a distraction. Especially social media. We live in a world where we ALWAYS have to be connected, even if it may interfere with our learning process.
    I also find it sad that a professor had to remind the class to not use "chatspeak" in an essay... it's a sad reality, but it's true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, I too think that technology in the classroom can be a MAJOR distraction which is a little unsettling! Technology can definitely aid students' learning, but more than likely it is going to be abused and instead be used to go on facebook, twitter etc. This is such a difficult thing to prevent too because there is no way to constantly babysit each student to make sure they are using their laptops for the better and not as a distraction from class! Even in college I CONSTANTLY see people using their laptops for facebook, and even when the professor questions them, they quickly minimize their window or close it out and say that they were taking notes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me, autocorrect is the WORST technology that affects English. Knowing the difference between "too" and "to", "lay" and "lie" and "effect" and "affect" is crucial to succeeding in life. We use English everyday and it really is disheartening when I see people use "u" instead of "you". To me, this is unacceptable. Knowing how to speak and spell should be of great importance to our students.

    ReplyDelete